The History of the Wharf

The Amsterdam Wharf is established in the former building of the Royal North & South Holland Lifeboat Rescue Service. Built in 1896, it is located in the nautical centre of Amsterdam and was in use until 1995 for the lifting and maintenance of lifeboats. The building includes an internal water dock accessed via large dock doors enabling rowing and diesel engined lifeboats to be brought into the building for servicing. Along the walls are iron tracks used to move the craft inside the building.

After 98 years the location became too small and the Royal Dutch Lifeboat association decided to relocate to IJmuiden. After moving in December 1994 plans were drawn up to transform the building into an events location. With the interior & exterior restoration complete the Amsterdam Wharf renovation includes new heating, a new sound proof roof and theatrical sound, lighting and vision.

where anything is possible


Go see the Video page to view our tribute to the Dutch Lifeboat Service, KNRM